Associate Rector Search
Christ Church is a vibrant, multigenerational church in downtown Macon, Georgia, “growing by God’s grace as a family of faith, fellowship, and ministry.” We have about 700 members with a staff of two priests, a full-time youth minister, and several full-time support staff. We provide opportunities for all ages for spiritual growth and fellowship, joyful worship, an excellent music program, healing ministry, and extensive opportunities for outreach ministry including our own program for meeting the needs of the food insecure, Weekend Lunch. We also help people discern and develop their own gifts for ministry and to carry them out in the life of the church and the surrounding community. Our church draws from about a 40 minute radius in any direction.
Macon is a thriving city in the heart of Georgia known for its live music scene, revitalized and growing downtown, and proximity to Atlanta, the mountains, and the coast. Macon is home to three institutions of higher learning which help to support a very affordable cosmopolitan community that enjoys the arts and entertainment. We celebrate our history (Christ Church is the oldest church in Macon and the mother church of the diocese of Atlanta) and we love to celebrate together–often enjoying our beautiful weather outdoors. (Check out the extensive display of Christmas lights set to music in downtown Macon.) In colloquial terms, in Atlanta they ask “What’s your business?” in Augusta they ask, “Who’s your daddy?” and in Macon they ask, “Where do you go to church?” We work in conjunction with the larger body of Christ and other communities of faith to serve the middle Georgia area more effectively than any of us could working independently of one another. As a result, Macon has a wonderfully supportive network of ministries and people that work together to best meet the needs of the larger community.
The associate shares in many of the responsibilities of the rector under the rector’s supervision. These include:
- Assisting regularly with preaching, teaching, and administering the sacraments including participation in Sunday Services at 8:00, 9:00, and 11:00 and the Wednesday noon Eucharist and healing service.
- Develop a stronger sense of Community and help grow the Christ Church family.
- Providing support for Christian education for children and adults in conjunction with the Sunday School Director, the Adult Education Team, and the rector.
- Additional ministries for children and young families.
- Provide support for men’s ministry and Bible Study.
- Work to develop and implement creative ways to better reach those living in the downtown area lofts.
- Work as a team with the clergy and staff.
- Assist with pastoral care and visits as needed.
- Mature faith, heart for the Lord, and desire to serve.
- MDIV from an Episcopal Seminary or Anglican studies program.
- Ordination to the priesthood or in process.
- Relationship builder, warm and friendly.
- Strong preacher, teacher, communicator.
- Competent in the use of current technology in ministry.
- Strong work ethic, self-motivated.
- Discipleship and evangelism.
- Good people skills including children.
- Salary, Housing, and SECA $66,000 – $70,000 commensurate with experience (Includes the option of reducing the salary and SECA to $42,000 -$46,000 with the use of the 3 bedroom 2 bath rectory in the North Macon Country Club area).
- Health and Dental Insurance.
- Paid Holidays, 4 weeks paid vacation, and sick days.
- Continuing Education allowance.
- Auto/travel allowance.
- Phone allowance.
- Professional expense account.
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter, OTM profile, and resume to Associate Rector Applications. By June 15, 2021.